Place:


Clynder  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clynder like this:

Clynder, a village in Roseneath parish, W Dumbartonshire, on the W side of Gare Loch, 1 mile NNW of Roseneath village; at it are a post office under Helensburgh, an hotel, and a new iron U.P. church (1881). The uplands around are favourite sites for hives, their heather being singularly rich in nectar and pollen. In 1880 it was not uncommon for a hive brought hither from Thorliebank or Pollokshields, weighing 18 lbs., to be brought home in six or seven weeks' time weighing 57; but of the 100 or so hives set up near Clynder in 1881, the heaviest weighed only 39 lbs. gross.

Clynder through time

Clynder is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clynder itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clynder, in Argyll and Bute and Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22047

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clynder ".