Place:


Clachnaharry  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clachnaharry like this:

Clachnaharry, a straggling fishing village in Inverness parish, Inverness-shire, on Beauly Firth, at the mouth of the Caledonian Canal, with a station on the Highland railway, 1¾ mile NW of Inverness. It takes its name, signifying ` the watchman's stone, ' from neighbouring rocks where sentinels stood, in bygone times, to warn the townsmen of Inverness of the approach of any body of marauders; at it are a post office under Inverness, and a public school, which, with accommodation for 150 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 78, and a grant of £57,4s. ...


A pillar on the highest point of the adjacent rocks was erected by the late Major Duff of Muirtoun, to commemorate a battle said to have been fought in the vicinity in 1378, between the Monroes of Foulis and the Clan Chattan, and is visible over a great extent of surrounding country.

Clachnaharry through time

Clachnaharry is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clachnaharry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clachnaharry, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22039

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clachnaharry ".