Place:


Chapelton  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Chapelton like this:

Chapelton, a village in Glasford parish, Lanarkshire, 2¾ miles N N W of Strathaven, and 5½ SSW of Hamilton, under which it has a post office. At it are gas-works, an Established church, a Free church, and a public school. In 1875 it, with the district around, was erected into a quoad sacra parish in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Pop. of village (1841) 367, (1861) 634, (1871) 468, (1881) 670; of q- s. parish (1881) 782.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23,1865.

Chapelton through time

Chapelton is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chapelton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chapelton in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22037

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chapelton ".