Place:


Carron  Banffshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carron like this:

Carron, a locality, partly in Inveraven parish, but chiefly in Aberlour parish, Banffshire. It comprises a hill, a daugh, and a railway station. The hill, on the mutual border of the two parishes, rises immediately from the right bank of the Spey to a height of 967 feet above sea-level, and is separated by a narrow valley from Ben Rinnes. ...


The daugh forms a continuation of the valley between the hill and Ben Rinnes; lies to the SW of Kinermony Daugh; and is separated there from by a very deep ravine, traversed by a mountain rivulet. The station, on the Strathspey section of the Great North of Scotland, is 5¾ miles WSW of Craigellachie Junction, under which it has a post and telegraph office. Near it is Carron House.

Carron through time

Carron is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carron itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carron, in Moray and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22029

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carron ".