Place:


Byth  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Byth like this:

Byth, a hamlet, a mansion, and a village, in King Edward parish, Aberdeenshire. The hamlet lies on the NE border of the parish, 8 miles NE of Turriff. The mansion stands ¾ mile SW of the hamlet, was built in 1593 by Deacon Forbes of Byth, and has been modernised and enlarged. The village stands 1¾ mile SSE of the hamlet, bears the name of Newbyth, and will be separately noticed under that name.

Byth through time

Byth is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Byth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Byth in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22017

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Byth ".