Place:


Brucklay  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Brucklay like this:

Brucklay, a hamlet in New Deer parish, Aberdeen shire, with a station on the Formartine and Buchan section of the Great North of Scotland, 1¾ mile N of Maud Junction. A public school here, with accommodation for 106 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 60, and a grant of £44,3s. ...


4d. Brucklay Castle, a little to the WSW, is a fine castellated mansion, 120 feet square, dating from the latter half of the 17th century, and four times enlarged between 1765 and 1864. It is the seat of Alex. Dingwall Fordyce (b. 1873), owner of 20,899 acres in the shire valued at £12,744 per annum, and son of the late Wm. D. Fordyce, M. P. for Aberdeenshire (1866-68), for E Aberdeenshire (1868-75). . - .

Brucklay through time

Brucklay is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brucklay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brucklay in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22006

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brucklay ".