Place:


Burdiehouse  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Burdiehouse like this:

Burdiehouse, a hamlet and a burn of Edinburghshire. The hamlet, in the SE of Liberton parish, lies on the burn 4½ miles S by E of Edinburgh, and 1½ NW of Loanhead; is supposed to have been originally called Bourdeaux-House, from its being the residence of some of Queen Mary's French attendants in 1561; and is celebrated for its limekilns, which manufacture about 15,000 bolls of lime a year. ...


A vast deposit of limestone here contains fossils which have been largely discussed by eminent geologists. - The burn, rising on the northern shoulder of the Pentland Hills, within Colinton parish, runs 3½ miles eastward to Burdiehouse hamlet, and thence 5 miles north-eastward through Liberton parish, and on the boundary with Newton and Inveresk parishes, to the Firth of Forth between Joppa and Fisherrow.

Burdiehouse through time

Burdiehouse is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burdiehouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burdiehouse, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21967

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burdiehouse ".