Place:


Bonnyrigg  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bonnyrigg like this:

Bonnyrigg, a village on the NW border of Cockpen parish, Edinburghshire, near the Edinburgh and Peebles railway, ¾ mile SSE of Lasswade, and 2 miles SW of Dalkeith. Only a collier village when the Queen drove through it (14 Sept. 1842), it now presents the aspect of a cleanly, pleasant, well-built little town, a summer resort of families from Edinburgh. ...


It is governed by a body of commissioners under the general police and improvement act of 1862; and it has a post office, with money order and savings' bank departments, a railway station, a public park (1869) of 5¼ acres, a bowling-green (1871), public waterworks (1871), a handsome Free church, a public hall, and a girls' school. Pop. (1861) 898, (1871) 1510, (1881) 2060.

Bonnyrigg through time

Bonnyrigg is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bonnyrigg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bonnyrigg in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21944

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bonnyrigg".