Place:


Black Isle  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Black Isle like this:

Black Isle, the peninsula between the Beauly and the Moray Firths and the Firth of Cromarty, comprising parts of Ross, Cromarty, and Nairn shires. It contains the parishes of Killearnan, Kilmuir-Wester, Knockbain, Avoch, Rosemarkie, Cromarty, Resolis, and Urquhart; and it consists largely over its north-western portion of the broad based hill, Ardmeanach. ...


It constitutes a poor law combination, and has a poorhouse with accommodation for 100 inmates. A project was adopted at a public meeting at Fortrose, in October 1872, to form a line of railway, about 22 miles long, through the Black Isle, from Muir of Ord to Cromarty.

Black Isle through time

Black Isle is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Black Isle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Black Isle, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21941

Date accessed: 13th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Black Isle ".