Place:


Balerno  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Balerno like this:

Balerno, a village in Currie parish, Edinburghshire, on the right bank of the Water of Leith, with a station on a loop line of the Caledonian, 1 mile WSW of Currie, and 7 SW of Edinburgh. It has a post office under Currie, with money order and savings' bank departments, a U.P. church (1829; 500 sittings), 2 inns, 2 paper-mills, and a public and an Episcopal school, which, with accommodation for 176 and 126 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 109 and 57, and grants of £93, 12s. and £33, 12s. Pop. (1861) 510, (1871) 490. -

Balerno through time

Balerno is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Balerno itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balerno, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21929

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Balerno ".