Place:


Rosebery  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Rosebery like this:

Rosebery, an estate, with a small mansion, in Temple parish, Edinburghshire, on the left side of the river South Esk, 4 miles SW of Gorebridge. The ancient barony of Nicolson, in the quondam parish of Clerkington, it was purchased in 1695 by Archibald Primrose, M.P., and erected into the new barony of Rosebery-a title assumed by him on his elevation to the peerage of Scotland as Viscount in 1700, and Earl in 1703. ...


He sold it in 1712; but the fourth Earl repurchased it in 1821. Its large and ancient mansion-house was demolished in 1805-12. See Dalmeny.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Rosebery through time

Rosebery is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rosebery itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rosebery in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21910

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rosebery ".