Place:


Redcastle  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Redcastle like this:

Redcastle, an ancient but modernised mansion in Killearnan parish, Ross-shire, on the N shore of Beauly Firth, 3¾ miles E by S of Muir of Ord station, and 63/8 (via Kessock Ferry) WNW of Inverness. It claims to be the oldest inhabited castle in Scotland, having been in 1179 by David, brother to William the Lyon; was visited by Queen Mary in 1562; and is now the seat of the Right Hon. ...


Henry James Baillie (b. 1804; suc. 1866), Conservative M.P. for Inverness-shire 184068, who holds 6512 acres in Ross and Inverness shires, valued at £6276 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 83, l881.

Redcastle through time

Redcastle is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Redcastle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redcastle, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21903

Date accessed: 25th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Redcastle ".