Place:


Langwathby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langwathby like this:

LANGWATHBY, a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland; on the river Eden, near the boundary with Westmoreland, 4½ miles NE of Penrith r. station. It has a post-office under Penrith. Acres, 1,987. Real property, £2,333. Pop., 346. Houses, 62. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. A three-arched bridge, built in 1686, here crosses the Eden. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Edenhall, in the diocese of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1718, and repaired in 1835.

Langwathby through time

Langwathby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langwathby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langwathby, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2187

Date accessed: 19th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langwathby ".