Place:


Fullarton  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Fullarton like this:

Fullarton, an Ayrshire burgh of barony within the bounds of the parliamentary burgh of Irvine, but lying in Dundonald parish, on the left or opposite bank of the river Irvine. With Irvine it is connected by a handsome stone four-arch bridge of l746, and from 1690 to 1823 it was supposed to belong to Irvine parish, having in the former of those years been technically united thereto; but, an appeal being made to the Court of Session in 1823, it was found to have legally belonged all along to Dundonald. ...


An Established church, built as a chapel of ease in 1836 at a cost of £2000, contains 900 sittings, and in 1874 was raised to quoad sacra status, its parish being in Ayr presbytery and the synod of Glasgow and Ayr. There are also a Free church and a public school. See Irvine and Dundonald. Pop. of parish (1881) 4009.—Ord. Sur., sh. 22, 1865.

Fullarton through time

Fullarton is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fullarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fullarton in North Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21841

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fullarton".