Place:


Flotta  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Flotta like this:

Flotta, an island in the S of Orkney, lying nearly midway between Hoy and South Ronaldshay, and flanking part of the southern side of Scalpa Flow, 15 miles SSW of Kirkwall. It has a post office under Stromness. It measures 3½ miles in length from NE to SW, by 2¾ miles in extreme breadth, and is deeply pierced on the north-eastern side by an elongated bay called Panhope, which forms an excellent harbour. ...


The coast is mostly high and rocky; the interior low, tame, and heathy, consisting mainly of sandstone and sandstoneflag. Specially well situated for fishing, and famous for its excellent fishing boats, it was the residence of the ancient Norwegian historiographer, sent from Norway to collect information respecting Scotland, and gave name to his work, the Codex Flotticensis, from which Torfæus and subsequent historians drew much of their materials on the ancient condition of the northern districts of Scotland. Ecclesiastically, the island is included in the parish of Walls and Flotta. Pop. (1841) 405, (1861) 420, (1871) 423, (1881) 425.

Flotta through time

Flotta is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flotta itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flotta in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21838

Date accessed: 13th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Flotta".