Place:


Dullatur  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dullatur like this:

Dullatur, a tract of low land on the northern border of Cumbernauld parish, Dumbartonshire, traversed by the Forth and Clyde Canal, the line of Antoninus' Wall, and the Edinburgh and Glasgow section of the North British railway, 1½ mile WNW of Cumbernauld town, and 2 miles ESE of Kilsyth. ...


Lying almost on a level with the canal, it was all till a recent period a deep and spongy, almost impassable morass, immediately N of what is supposed to have been Bruce's mustering-ground on the eve of his march to Bannockburn (1314), and S of the Kilsyth battle-field (1645). At the cutting of the canal through it in 1769-70, swords, pistols, and other weapons were found in it, supposed to have been lost or thrown away in the rout from Kilsyth; bodies of men and horses, including a mounted trooper completely armed, were also brought to light; and myriads of small toads, each much the size of a nut or Turkey bean, issuing from it, hopped over all the fields northward for several miles, and could be counted from 10 to 30 in the space of 1 square yard. Dullatur Villas here, on a plot of 164 acres, round the old mansions of Dykehead and Dullatur, were erected in 1875-76; and Dullatur station, opened in the latter year, is 12¾ miles NE of Glasgow.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31,1867.

Dullatur through time

Dullatur is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dullatur itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dullatur, in North Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21832

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dullatur ".