Place:


Avonbridge  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Avonbridge like this:

Avonbridge, a village on the right bank of the Avon, in the NE angle of Slamannan parish, SE Stirlingshire, with a station on the North British, ¾ mile W of Blackstone Junction and 11¼ ENE of Falkirk. It has a post office under Falkirk, a U.P. church (1803; 308 sittings), an Evangelical Union chapel, and a public school for Slamannan and Muiravonside conjointly, which, with accommodation for 150 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 99, and a grant of £90,8s. 8d.

Avonbridge through time

Avonbridge is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Avonbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Avonbridge, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21819

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Avonbridge ".