Place:


Preston  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Preston like this:

Preston Hall, a mansion in Cranston parish, E Edinburghshire, near the right bank of Tyne Water, 1¼ mile N by E of Ford, and 4½ miles E by S of Dalkeith. A splendid classical structure, it consists of a centre and two wings, connected by lower buildings, and was erected towards the close of last century by W. ...


Adam for General Lord Adam Gordon, whose mother, the Dowager Duchess of Gordon, had purchased the estate in 1738 for £8877. The present proprietor, Henry Callander, Esq. (b. 1862; suc. 1865), holds 4869 acres in the shire, valued at £6865 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863. See John Small's Castles and Mansioms of the Lothians (Edinb. 1883).

The location is that of Preston Hall.

Preston through time

Preston is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21815

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Preston".