Place:


Maryburgh  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Maryburgh like this:

Maryburgh, a village on the mutual border of Fodderty and Dingwall parishes, Ross-shire, on the left bank of the river Conon, where it opens into the Cromarty Firth, 1¾ mile S by W of Dingwall town, and 1¼ N of Conon station. It is a modern place, inhabited chiefly by crofters and mechanics; and has a post office under Dingwall, a Free church, and a public school. Pop. (1841) 403, (1861) 503, (1881) 420, of whom 7 were in Dingwall parish.—Ord. Sur., sh. 83, 1881.

Maryburgh through time

Maryburgh is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maryburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maryburgh, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21788

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maryburgh ".