Place:


Gorebridge  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gorebridge like this:

Gorebridge, a village of E Edinburghshire, on the right bank of Gore Water, 4 ¼ miles S by E of Dalkeith and 10 SE by S of Edinburgh, or 12 by railway. Immediately W of it is the ruinous square tower of Newbyres Castle; Stobs Mills, across the stream, erected in 1793, were the earliest gunpowder works in Scotland; and around are the rich mineral fields of Arniston, Dalhousie, Newbattle, and Vogrie. ...


The village itself has a station on the Waverley section of the North British, a post office, with money order, savings'bank, and telegraph departments, 2 insurance agencies, an hotel, a police station, a gas company, a new water supply (1882), a girls'school, a Free church, and a U.P. church, whilst near it are Stobhill, quoad sacra church and public school. Pop. (1841) 240, (1861) 446, (1871) 966, (1881) 1148, of whom 745 were in Temple (detached), 367 in Borthwick, and 36 in Newbattle-Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Gorebridge through time

Gorebridge is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gorebridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gorebridge in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21770

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gorebridge".