Place:


Camerton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Camerton like this:

CAMMERTON, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Derwent, and on the Workington and Cockermouth railway, 3 miles E by N of Workington, and has a station on the railway. Acres, 788. Real property, £1,022. Pop., 224. Houses, 41. The parish includes also the township of Seaton; and extends down the Derwent to the sea. ...


Post Town, Workington. Acres, 3,727; of which 847 are water. Real property, £8,344; of which £3,000 are in mines, and £350 in iron-works. Pop., 1,326. Houses, 277. The property is subdivided. Cammerton Hall is a chief residence. Coal is largely worked; brickmaking is carried on; and there are tin-plate and iron works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is very good; and contains the tomb of Black Tom of the north.

Camerton through time

Camerton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Camerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Camerton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2174

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Camerton ".