Place:


Cononbridge  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cononbridge like this:

Conan-Bridge, a village in the Ross-shire section of Urquhart and Logie-Wester parish, on the right bank of the river Conan, 2½ miles SSW of Dingwall, under which it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. It took its name from a bridge over the Conan, on the road from Beauly to Dingwall, which, built in 1809 by the parliamentary commissioners at a cost of £6854, is a stone five-arch structure, with a water-way of 265 feet. ...


The village has a station (Conan) on the Highland railway, an inn, and a public school. Pop. (1841) 342, (1861) 501, (1871) 385, (1881) 385.

Cononbridge through time

Cononbridge is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cononbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cononbridge, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21729

Date accessed: 27th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cononbridge ".