Place:


Ashton  Renfrewshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ashton like this:

Ashton, the south-western part of Gourock village, in Innerkip parish, Renfrewshire. Commencing at Kempock Point, it extends about 1 mile along the shore, its site being chiefly a narrow belt of low ground, overhung by steep braes. It includes some houses on a line of terrace road across the face of these braes, together with gardens running down the slopes; and is mainly an array of spacious two-story houses and handsome villas, with a neat United Presbyterian church on the low ground, and a small Episcopalian chapel on the upper terrace. ...


Bright and attractive in appearance, it confronts the exquisite scenery on the western screens of the Firth of Clyde, from Roseneath peninsula, round by Loch Long, Kilmun Hill, and Holy Loch, to the long sweep of Dunoon town and Bishop's Seat; and is a favourite summer retreat and bathing-place of the citizens of Glasgow. The part of it nearest Kempock, and fully ½ mile onward, is sometimes called West Bay; while the part further on is more distinctively known as Ashton.

Ashton through time

Ashton is now part of Inverclyde district. Click here for graphs and data of how Inverclyde has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashton, in Inverclyde and Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21722

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashton ".