Place:


Walsden  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walsden like this:

WALSDEN, a chapelry in Rochdale parish, Lancashire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2 miles S of Todmorden. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a post-office under Todmorden, and a r. station with telegraph. Rated property, £7,463. Pop., 3,934. Houses, 770. The property is much subdivided. ...


There are cotton-mills, chemical works, collieries, and quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1845; is in the early English style; and has a spire added in 1863. There is a parochial school.

Walsden through time

Walsden is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walsden, in Calderdale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21704

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walsden".