Place:


Wadsley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wadsley like this:

WADSLEY, a chapelry, with several villages, in Ecclesfield township, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Don and on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 3 miles NW of Sheffield. It was constituted in 1841: and it has a post-office under Sheffield and a r. station, both of the name of Wadsley-Bridge. ...


Pop., 3,849. Houses, 787. There are numerous villas. Most of the inhabitants are employed in rolling-mills and cutlery manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £230. Patron, Miss Harrison. The church was built in 1834. There are Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and 6 alms houses.

Wadsley through time

Wadsley is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wadsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wadsley, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21701

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wadsley".