Place:


Winshill  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winshill like this:

WINSHILL, a township and a chapelry in Burton-upon-Trent parish, Derby. The township lies on the river Trent, 1½ mile ENE of Burton-upon-Trent r. station; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 1,150. Real property, £3,596; of which £100 are in mines and £11 in fisheries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 405; in 1861, 880. Houses, 182. The increase of pop. arose partly from the operations of a Freehold Land Society. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. There are a cotton-mill and a corn mill. The chapelry was constituted in 1867. Pop., about 1,800. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, J. Gretton, Esq. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Winshill through time

Winshill is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winshill, in East Staffordshire and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21689

Date accessed: 08th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winshill ".