Place:


Ide Hill  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ide Hill like this:

IDEHILL, a hamlet in Sundridge parish, and a chapelry partly also in Chevening and Chiddingstone parishes, Kent. The hamlet lies 3¼ miles SW of Sevenoaks r. station; has a post office under Sevenoaks; and commands a very fine view.—The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop., 706. Houses, 134. ...


Pop. of the Sundridge portion, 602. Houses, 115. Pop. of the Chevening portion, 60. Houses, 12. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Sundridge. The old church was built about 1805; and a new one, in the decorated English style, with tower and spire, at an estimated cost of £2, 380, was built in 1866. There are a Calvinist chapel, and a national school.

Ide Hill through time

Ide Hill is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ide Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ide Hill, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21670

Date accessed: 02nd March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ide Hill ".