Place:


Spittle  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spittle like this:

SPITTLE, a village and a township in Tweedmouth parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, at the mouth of the river Tweed, opposite Berwick, 1 mile E of Tweedmouth r. station; took its name from an ancient hospital; was once a resort of smugglers and pirates; is now a watering-place, with many good lodging-houses, an excellent bathing-beach, and a mineral spring; comprises two chief streets, one of them about a mile long; contains the gasworks for Tweedmouth and Berwick; carries on a large trade in catching, curing, and smoking herrings; carries on also iron-founding, and spade and shovel-making; and has a post-office under Berwick, a coastguard station, a church built in 1867, a U. ...


Presbyterian chapel, and a large school.-The township comprises 244 acres. Pop., 1,768. Houses, 240.

Spittle through time

Spittle is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Spittle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spittle, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21632

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Spittle ".