Place:


South Shore  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Shore like this:

SHORE (South), a village and a chapelry in Bispham parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast, and on the Blackpooland Lytham railway, nominally 1 mile S of Blackpool, but really almost continuous with it; consists of ranges of villas and terraces, fronting the sea; and has a r. station, a post-office under Preston, a good bathing beach, saltwater baths, a central spacious brick building called College Francais, a neat brick church of 1836, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school. ...


The chapelry has no assigned limits. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200.* Patron, Col. Clifton.

South Shore through time

South Shore is now part of Blackpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Shore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Shore, in Blackpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21630

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Shore ".