Place:


Skerton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skerton like this:

SKERTON, a suburban village and a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is suburban to Lancaster; communicates with that town by a five-arched bridge, across the river Lune; and has a post-office under Lancaster, and a police station. The chapelry comprises 1,186 acres. ...


Real property, £6,179; of which £90 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 317. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is a neat building, with a pinnacled tower. There is an endowed school with £12 a year.

Skerton through time

Skerton is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skerton, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21626

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skerton ".