Place:


Seathwaite  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seathwaite like this:

SEATHWAITE, a chapelry and a mountain vale in Kirkby-Ireleth parish, Lancashire. The chapelry lies adjacent to Cumberland, 4¼ miles W by S of Coniston r.station. Post-town, Grisebeck, under Ulverstone. Acres, 10, 940. Pop., 171. Houses, 34. The manor belongs to J. J. Rawlinson, Esq. The living is a p. ...


curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80.* Patron, J. J. Rawlinson, Esq. The church is good; and there is a parochial school. The vale is mainly identical with the chapelry; descends 4 miles south-westward, at an acuteangle to the Duddon river; is flanked, on the right, by Greyfriars mountain, on the left, by the Old Man of Coniston and Dow Crag; and contains, in its centralpart, the lakelet of S. Tarn, gemmed with an islet, over-hung by precipices, and commanding a vista-view away to Fairfield mountain.

The Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map of Lancashire and Furness of 1850-51 names the cluster of buildings just south of Seathwaite church and parsonage as "Newfield", so at one time this would seem to have been an alternative name for the main settlement of the chapelry and valley (map accessible on the old-maps.co.uk site).

Seathwaite through time

Seathwaite is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seathwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seathwaite, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21621

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seathwaite ".