Place:


Scissett  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scissett like this:

SCISSETT, a hamlet in High Hoyland parish, and a chapelry partly also in Emley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies in Cumberworth township, 1½ mile S S W of Shepley r. station, and 4¼ N W by N of Penistone. The chapelry was constituted in 1840; and its post town is Shepley, under Huddersfield. ...


Rated property, £2,077. Pop. in 1861, 3, 131. Houses, 610. The property is much subdivided. There are several worsted and woollen mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £133.* Patron, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church is modern; and there are five dissenting chapels, and a national school.

Scissett through time

Scissett is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scissett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scissett, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21618

Date accessed: 29th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scissett".