Place:


Sandbank  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Sandbank like this:

Sandbank and Ardnadam, a watering-place in Dunoon parish, Argyllshire, on the S side of Holy Loch, opposite Kilmun, and 2¾ miles NNW of Dunoon town. Of recent origin, it forms the upper end of the long line of summer sea bathing resort extending through Hunter's Quay and Kirn to the southern extremity of Dunoon; occupies a similar site and enjoys similar amenities and advantages to those of Kilmun and Hunter's Quay; commands ready access to the romantic glens at the head of Holy Loch; enjoys communication with Greenock and Glasgow by means of the Kilmun steamers; and has a post office under Greenock, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an hotel, a pier 200 feet long, a club-hall, a bowling-green, a coffee-house, a good water supply, a quoad sacra church, a Free church, a public school, and two newspapers-the Saturday Argyllshire Standard (1871) and the Wednesday Cowal Watchman (1876). ...


The Established church, built as a chapel of ease at a cost of £840, has a stained-glass window and an harmonium, and was made quoad sacra in 1876. Pop. of village and parish (1871) 620, (1881) 570.—Ord. Sur., sh. 29, 1873.

Sandbank through time

Sandbank is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandbank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandbank in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21617

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandbank ".