Place:


Rosherville  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rosherville like this:

ROSHERVILLE, a chapelry in Northfleet parish, Kent; on the river Thames and on the North Kent railway, adjacent to Gravesend. It includes the hamlet of Lower Perry-Street; and it was constituted in 1853. Post-town, Gravesend. Pop. in 1861, 1, 498. Houses, 302. Numerous good residences stand on a considerableeminence, overlooking chalk cliffs, the river ' Thames, and the low lands of Essex; and R. ...


gardens are a great feature, but have been noticed in our article on Gravesend. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patron, G. Rosher, Esq. The church is a handsome modern edifice, in the transition style. There is a national school, a neat edifice in the pointed style.

The name does not appear on the New Popular or First Series maps' The location is that of the church just to the south of where the name appears on modern 1:25,000 maps.

Rosherville through time

Rosherville is now part of Gravesham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gravesham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rosherville itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rosherville, in Gravesham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21610

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rosherville".