Place:


Riddings  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Riddings like this:

RIDDINGS, a village and a chapelry in Alfreton parish, Derby. The village stands ½ a mile W of Pye-Bridge r. station, and 2½ S W by S of Alfreton; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 4, 145. Houses, 772. R. House is the seat of J. ...


Oakes, Esq. There are collieries, ironmines, and iron-works; and they have ready facility ofconveyance by the Erewash railway and the Cromfordcanal. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of Somercotes, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Alfreton. The church was built in 1845, at a cost of £4,000; is in the early English style; and has a tower and lofty spire. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and national and infant schools.

Riddings through time

Riddings is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Riddings itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Riddings, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21606

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Riddings ".