Place:


Pill  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pill like this:

PILL, a village and a chapelry in Easton-in-Gordano parish, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, at the boundary with Gloucester, near the Avon's mouth, near the terminus of the Bristol Port and Pier railway, and near the site of the Roman Ad Sabrinam on the Julian way, 5 miles N W of Bristol; is the Bristol pilotstation, inhabited chiefly by pilots; and has a post-office‡under Bristol. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 1,800. Ham-Green House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £116. Patron, the Rev. H. Mirehouse. The church was built in 1860; and is a cruciform edifice, in the decorated English style, with a bell turret. There is a charity school.

Pill through time

Pill is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pill in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21592

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pill ".