Parkend  Gloucestershire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Parkend like this:

PARKEND, a hamlet and a chapelry in Dean forest, Gloucester. The hamlet lies 3¾ miles S E of Coleford, and 4½ N N E of Lydney r. station; and has a post-office‡under Lydney. The chapelry is called also St. Paul, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 4, 937. Houses, 977. Whitemead Park is the seat of Sir James Campbell, Bart. ...

There are extensive iron, tin, and coal works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of G.and B. The church was built in 1822; is a neat, octagonal, stone structure; and has a tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans; mixed schools, partly supported by annual grant from the office of Woods and Forests; and a cemetery, opened in 1862.

Parkend through time

Parkend is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Parkend itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parkend, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 24th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Parkend ".