Par  Cornwall


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Par like this:

PAR, a seaport village and a chapelry in St. Blazey and Tywardreath parishes, Cornwall. The village stands on Tywardreath bay and on the Cornwall railway, 4¼ miles S S W of Lostwithiel; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office, designated Par Station, Cornwall. ...

A mineral railway comes hither from the N, and is crossed, in the vicinity, by the Cornwall railway on a granite skew bridge. An active pilchard fishery iscarried on; and great quantities of ore, china stone, and china clay are shipped for Swansea and Staffordshire. Aharbour was constructed by Mr. Treffry, entirely at hisown expense; and is formed mainly by a break-water, 450 feet in length. A group of copper mines, called Par Consols, are on an ascent adjacent to the shore. The views of the bay, and of distant cliffs, from the neighbourhood of the village, are very fine. The chapelry isnoticed in the article Biscovay.

Par through time

Par is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Par itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Par, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 23rd January 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Par ".