Place:


Oxton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxton like this:

OXTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Woodchurch parish, Cheshire. The village stands 2 miles W of Birkenhead r. station, and has a post-office‡under Birkenhead. The township comprises 802 acres. Real property, £12, 580. Pop. in 1851, 2,007; in 1861, 2, 670. Houses, 452. ...


The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury. There are numerous villas and suburbanresidences; many of them inhabited by Liverpool families. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1851. Pop. in 1861, 2, 945. Houses, 482. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £220. Patron, the Rector of Wood-church. The church is a modern edifice, in the pointedstyle; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with bell-turret; and has two painted windows. There are national schools.

Oxton through time

Oxton is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxton, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21581

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxton ".