Place:


Oakridge  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakridge like this:

OAKRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Bisley parish, Gloucester. The village stands under the Cotswolds, near the Thames and Severn canal, 2 miles N E of Brimscombe r. station, and 4½ E by S of Stroud. The chapelry was constituted in 1849; and its post town is Bisley, under Stroud. Pop. ...


in 1861, 875. Houses, 217. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £64.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Oakridge through time

Oakridge is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oakridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakridge, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21576

Date accessed: 13th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oakridge ".