Place:


Newington Green  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newington Green like this:

NEWINGTON-GREEN, a metropolitan suburb in Islington and Stoke-Newington parishes, Middlesex; adjacent to the New river and to the Newington-Road station of the North London railway, 2¾ miles N by E of St. Paul's. It derived the latter part of its name from asquare green, edificed along the sides by old irregularlybuilt houses. ...


An occasional residence of Henry VIII.was here; and a lane going hence to Ball's Pond is stillcalled Henry VIII. 's walk. A seat of the Hallidays and the Mildmays, latterly called Mildmay House, also was here. A Unitarian chapel is on the N side, and had Drs. Aikin and Price for ministers. V. Knox was a native, and Mrs. Barbauld was a resident.

Newington Green through time

Newington Green is now part of Islington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Islington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newington Green itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newington Green, in Islington and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21567

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newington Green ".