Place:


Newchurch in Pendle  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newchurch in Pendle like this:

NEWCHURCH-IN-PENDLE, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; averagely 3 miles N W of Marsden r.station, and 6 N W of Burnley. It contains the townships of Goldshaw-Booth, Roughlee-Booth, Old-Laund-Booth, and Barley-with-Wheatley-Booth; and its post town is Burnley. Acres, 5,080. Rated property, £5,012. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2, 328; in 1861, 1, 738. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. The manors belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. The cotton manufacture is largelycarried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is in the early English style; was built in 1544; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are three Methodist chapels and a parochial school.

Newchurch in Pendle through time

Newchurch in Pendle is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newchurch in Pendle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newchurch in Pendle, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21564

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newchurch in Pendle ".