Place:


Newbyth  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newbyth like this:

Newbyth, a village in the SE of King-Edward parish, N Aberdeenshire, 3 miles NNE of Cuminestown and 8 ENE of Turriff, under which it has a post office. Founded in 1764 by James Urquhart, Esq., on his estate of Byth, it stands 350 feet above sea-level, and consists of two streets, crossing each other nearly at right angles. ...


Most of the villagers rent small lots of ground, in addition to their feu-holdings of about 1/5 acre; and neighbouring peat-mosses still yield a good supply of fuel, though their area has been greatly reduced by advancing cultivation. An Established church, containing 500 sittings, and successor to one of 1793, was built as a chapel of ease in 1851, and in 1867 was raised to quoad sacra status. The parish is in the presbytery of Turriff and the synod of Aberdeen; its minister's stipend is £120. There are also a Free Church preaching station and a public school, enlarged in 1875. This and two others, Crudie and Upper Brae, with respective accommodation for 216, 160, and 90 children, had (1883) an average attendance of 153, 107, and 86, and grants of £ll5, 13s., £76, 17s. 4d., and £61, 8s. Pop. of village (1831) 302, (1861) 454, (1871) 609, (1881) 491; of quoad sacra parish (1871) 2216, (1881) 1932, of whom 28 were in Aberdour.—Ord. Sur., sh. 86, 1876.

Newbyth through time

Newbyth is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newbyth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newbyth in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21562

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newbyth ".