Place:


Moston  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moston like this:

MOSTON, a township, with a village, in Manchester. parish, Lancashire; on the Rochdale canal, and on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 4 miles NNE of Manchester. Acres, 1,271. Real property, £5,235; of which £700 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,904; in 1861, 1,199. Houses, 252. The increase of pop. ...


arose from proximity to Manchester, from the opening of a colliery, and from the establishing of a pottery. The manor belonged, in the early part of the 14th century, to the Grelles; passed to the Delawarrs and the Radcliffes; and was divided, in the latter part of the 16th century, among several proprietors. Moston House is the residence of R.. Andrew, Esq. Nuthurst Hall was the seat of the Chaddertons, and the birthplace of Bishop Chadderton; and retains a very ancient gable. Hough Hall is a timbered mansion of the time of Elizabeth. There are dye-works, a Wesleyan chapel, and a church library in connexion with schools.

Moston through time

Moston is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moston, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21549

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moston ".