Place:


Middlesmoor  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middlesmoor like this:

MIDDLESMOOR, a village and a chapelry in Kirkby-Malzeard parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a hill, near the river Nidd, 8¾ &hr, miles NW of Pateley-Bidger. station; is in the township of Upper Stonebeck; and has a post office under Leeds, and a lamb and cattle fair on 14 Sept.—The chapelry extends beyond the township. ...


Rated property, £5,917. Pop., 666. The property is divided among a few. The manor of Upper Stonebeck belongs to J. Yorke, Esq. The land is partly hilly, and is used chiefly for grazing. There are lead mines, many subterranean passages, and some stalactitic caverns. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £137. * Patron, the Vicar of Masham. The church is of the latter part of the 15th century, in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Middlesmoor through time

Middlesmoor is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middlesmoor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middlesmoor, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21540

Date accessed: 26th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middlesmoor".