Place:


Lindale  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lindale like this:

LINDALE, a chapelry, with a hamlet, in Upper Allithwaite township, Cartmel parish, Lancashire; on the W side of the estuary of the Kent, adjacent to the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles ENE of Cartmel. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. The acreage and pop. ...


are returned with the township. Castle-Head, the seat of E. Mucklow, Esq., is the chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £71.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was rebuilt in 1828; consists of nave and chancel, with a small tower; and contains 300 sittings. There is a national school.

Lindale through time

Lindale is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lindale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lindale, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21512

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lindale ".