Place:


Langley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley like this:

LANGLEY, a hamlet and a parochial chapelry in Halesowen parish, Worcester. The hamlet lies contiguous to Oldbury, near Oldbury r. station, and near the boundary with Staffordshire, 3 miles ESE of Dudley. The chapelry contains also the village of Rounds-Green; and was constituted in 1845. Post-town, Oldbury, under Birmingham. ...


Acres, 1,100. Pop. in 1861,5,825. Houses, 1,105. The manor belonged to the late P. A. Fraser, Esq. There are extensive iron-works, steelworks, alkali-works, phosphorus-works, brick-yards, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. * Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built., in 1852, and is in the early English decorated style. Another church, of a temporary kind, was opened in 1853 at Rounds-Green. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists.

Langley through time

Langley is now part of Sandwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sandwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley, in Sandwell and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21506

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langley ".