Place:


Lamberton  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lamberton like this:

Lamberton, a former parish of SE Berwickshire, long held by Coldingham Priory, and annexed to Ayton at the Reformation, to Mordington in 1650. Its church was built upon an eastward slope, 5 furlongs from the high sea-cliffs, 3 furlongs from the boundary of Berwick liberties, and 3 ¾ miles NNW of Berwick town. ...


The site, still marked by part of the outer walls, is the burying-place of the Rentons of Lamberton. The marriage-treaty of the Princess Margaret of England with James IV. of Scotland stipulated that she should, without any expense to the bridegroom, be delivered to the Scottish king's commissioners at Lamberton church; and she is said by tradition to have been married here, but really was espoused at Windsor, and brought to the King at Dalkeith. In 1573 a convention, which led to the siege of Edinburgh Castle, was made at this church between Lord Ruthven and Sir William Durie, the marshal of Berwick. Lamberton toll-bar - which stood between the ruins of the church and the line of the North British railway - for some time vied with Gretna as a place of runaway marriages.—Ord. Sur., sh. 34, 1864.

Lamberton through time

Lamberton is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lamberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamberton, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21501

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lamberton ".