Place:


Horninglow  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horninglow like this:

HORNINGLOW, a village and a township in Burton-upon-Trent parish, Stafford. The village stands on a rising ground, near the Grand Trunk canal and the Burton and Derby railway-, 2 miles NW of Burton-uponTrent; commands a view of the Trent valley; and has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent.-The township includes also the hamlets of Outwood and Whetmore. ...


Acres, 2, 430. Real property, £7, 047. Pop. in 1851, . 815; in 1861, 1, 968. Houses, 395. The increase of pop. arose partly from the operations of a Freehold Land Society. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglcsey. -A chapelry of H. was constituted in 1866. Pop., 2, 650. The living is a p. curacy. Value, not reported. Patron, W. Hopkins, Esq. The church was built in 1865. There are a Wesleyan chapel and the Burton workhouse.

Horninglow through time

Horninglow is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horninglow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horninglow in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21474

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horninglow ".