Place:


Holytown  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Holytown like this:

Holytown, a town in Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, 1 mile E by N of Holytown Junction on the Caledonian railway, 5½ miles SSE of Coatbridge, and 11 ESE of Glasgow. Surrounded by a well-worked part of the Lanarkshire mineral-field, and partaking largely in the indnstry and traffic connected with the working of the same, it experienced considerable increase of prosperity from the opening of the Cleland and Midcalder railway (1866), in result partly of through traffic on that line and partly of junction-communication with Motherwell. ...


It includes the suburb of New Stevenston, ½ mile SSW; and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Clydesdale Bank, 3 insurance agencies, gasworks, a quoad sacra parish church, a Free church, and a public school. The quoad sacra parish is in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr; its minister's stipend is £120. Pop. of town (1836) 755, (1861) 1135, (1871) 2197, (1881) 2480, of whom 1048 were in New Stevenston; of q. s. parish (1871) 10,099, (1881) 10,449.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Holytown through time

Holytown is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holytown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holytown in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21469

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holytown ".